Olivia’s Vision raises funds to help as many uveitis sufferers as possible. Together with the Medical Advisory Board, the decision has been made to direct immediate funds towards the training of additional uveitis specialists.
The two year Fellowships, each of which will cost in the region of £150,000, aim to increase the number of specialists in Intraocular Inflammatory Eye Disease. This will expand the medical ophthalmology care for patients with uveitis, where there are too many patients for too few specialists.
Research, a greater understanding of multisystem disease, of modern pharmacology and immunology will further enhance the ability to deliver excellent health care to patients.
The extent of training our Fellows will receive is unavailable elsewhere in the UK, and successful applicants will be taught by and will receive guidance from the Olivia’s Vision Medical Advisory Board, comprised of the three most eminent uveitis experts in the UK:
- Professor William Ayliffe BSc (Hons), MBBS, DO, FRCS (Ed), FRCS (Lond), FRCOphth, PhD
- Professor Andrew Dick BSc (Hons), MBBS, MD, FRCP, FRCS (Lond), FRCS (Ed), FRCOphth, FMedSci, FBS
- Professor Phil Murray MBBS, DO (RCS), PhD, FRCP, FRCS, FRCOphth
The Fellow will:
- Receive enhanced training in the diagnosis of uveitis
- Develop an advanced understanding of pharmacology to treat patients using a range of immunosuppressant and biologic agents
- Understand the surgical management of the complications of uveitis
- Engage in laboratory science and research
- Broaden knowledge of other specialties frequently associated with uveitis, including rheumatology.
Having raised so far over £250,000, the first sponsored Olivia’s Vision Fellowship will commence in 2012. The charity’s short-term aim is to sponsor one Fellowship annually.